Wednesday, July 23, 2008

He's Here!!

Chapter 1 - Baby Benjamin Thomas Arrives, FAST!

Keith and I went to bed on Saturday night Just after 12am. I had no feeling that we might soon have our little boy. He, however, had different plans. At 2:30, I woke up to make one of my usual trips to the bathroom. I was feeling a little pain but thought it would probably pass once I got back in bed. When it didn't, I got back up and paced around a bit, thinking that might make the pain subside.

About 20 minutes after first getting up I decided that it was time to wake Keith. It took him a second to realize what I had said but he quickly leaped into action. Making the appropriate calls and helping me gather my things. I was still a little unsure that it was really hospital time but thankfully, Keith was pretty sure it was. A little after 3am, Brandon Roberts had arrived to stay with the kids and we were on our way.


By the time we got to the hospital my contractions were coming fast and hard. In the labor and delivery triage the nurse saw how frequently I was having contractions and thought she had better check me. I was 8 cm dilated. We were all getting the feeling that the baby might not be as far away as we thought. I kept making sure that they knew that I wanted an epidural so they would have the anaesthesiologist ready as soon as we got to the Labor and delivery room. This, unfortunately, was not to be. After asking a few times a nurse finally told my we probably didn't have time for an epidural. WHAT!!

Very shortly after getting to the labor room I was checked and I was a 10. My water broke quickly after and it was time to push, but not really. The doctor was still not there. I had to wait at least another 15 minutes. I really didn't think that I could do it but somehow, I waited to push until we had a doctor and after only 3 or 4 pushes, at 4:26 am, Benjamin had arrived. All 8 lbs 4 oz and 20 1/2 inches of him. We got to spend about an hour with him before he headed off to the nursery to be checked over. He had some rapid breathing trouble but that cleared up quickly.

I can definitely say that given the choice, I would not choose to have a baby without an epidural again. I wanted to have the experience of going into labor at home an
d the excitement of the "I think we need to go to the hospital" moment. I really wanted to go into labor 100% on my own. I guess you have to be careful what you wish for. I got a little more "on my own" than I planned on. However, I am glad to have had the experience and to see that I could do it. I am amazed how quickly the memory of the pain leaves you once you have that sweet baby in your arms.




Chapter 2 - Meet the siblings

Sam and Audrey have been so ready to meet their baby brother. These last 7 months, since we first told them of the baby on the way, have probably felt like an eternity to them. Sam has been asking for weeks if today was the day that the baby would come. We would wake up in the mornings and Sam would ask, "Has Mommy had the baby yet?" We were so excited for him to wake up this past Saturday to hear that, yes, Mommy has had the baby!

They came to the hospital that morning and were so cute. They were thrilled to finally be able to hold and kiss their new baby brother. Sam is still not loving the name we have chosen but he's getting used to it. Audrey thinks that every sound and move Ben makes is so funny. My only problem now is going to be trying to keep them from smothering him with love.

22 comments:

Ben, Amy, Isabelle & Olivia said...

Hooray! We have been waiting for this post! Ben is adorbale and congrats to you for surviving a drug-free labor and delivery! We can't wait to play!

wackyjackie said...

Cograt! I too have been waiting to hear, just this morning I was thinking that there was no way you'd not had that baby by now. But I didn't want to be one of the 100 people that call and say "are you STILL pregnant".

It just puts a big lump in my throat to see Sam & Audrey meeting baby brother. That is such a special moment for a family, ones I will cherish forever.

On another note - I would rather have a fast labor with no drugs than a long one with drugs.

Love ya!

The Super Seven said...

So glad that you got your post up.....I think that it's funny that Sam doesn't love his name.....what would his choice be??? I love his name and I'm sure he is going to be just as cute as his older sibilings as he is a big cutie pie now.........talk soon....

Paula said...

YEAH!!!! so glad that everything is going well. He looks just as cute as the others. I can't wait to meet him in person. Congrats!!!

Courtney said...

How cute! I can't wait to meet him!!! Let me know if you need any help!

Kim said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Sorry I couldn't make it down to help this week after all, but we don't want Alexis getting baby Ben sick! We can't wait to meet him, though, and play with Sam & Audrey too! Love to all of you!

Christina said...

Congratulations - it seems like I was just there in Texas and we were having lunch and you just had this little baby bump! Time goes by so fast. Glad that everything went so well.

Becca Queen of Chaos said...

HOORAY!!!!!!! He is beautiful!!! You did so good!!! You are amazing!!!

The Bing's said...

Hey Cousin...it was great to hear the story from you...kathy had given me the short version!!! Sounds like quite the experience...so quick!!! Ben is a total cutie and I can't wait to meet him someday, post lots of pictures because we all want to watch him and his siblings grow!!! Lots of love!!!!

Jen said...

Ben is precious! You forget how tiny they are.

You are amazing for being able to endure through all that pain! We are so happy that everything went well and that your little guy is here.

Layne said...

congrats my friend, I let Sheldon in NL know already. We wish you a speedy recovery.

Tiffany said...

Congratulations! Those are the sweetest pics. I am so excited that everything went well epidural free. I can't even imagine.

Channynba said...

congrats to you guys. He is handsome.

Sara LaClaire said...

no epidural?!? no thank you! cute little baby, yes please! that is really fast. i hate hearing about people's completely different labor & delivery experiences. i want all of mine to be just like last time. can't i get that?

Meghan said...

Congratulations again! You're amazing for doing the whole thing without any drugs. Ben is so cute and the 'meet the sibling' photos are precious! Please don't hesitate to send Sam and Audrey over to play any time so you can rest.

Misty said...

You are an amazing woman!!!! I can't wait to see him!!!

Tiffani and Christopher Guymon said...

I am so happy for you! It was crazy that I ran into you that day. He is adorable. Take care and congratulations!

Lauren said...

Thank goodness it was fast! What a story! Congratulations! Sam and Audrey look really proud of their brother.

J-Mar said...

COngrats to you SUPER WOMAN! I never want to go with out an epidural either. What a blessing for your family!

Lyndsey said...

Congrats!!! I am glad to hear that all is well and he came. He is a cutie and I think you picked a great name, it fits him.

Fairbank Family said...

How sweet. I am so excited for you and proud of you for going natural. You will be amazed at how quickly you heal and how great you will feel. I can't believe how quickly it all happened. You are definitely a trouper.

Jaimie said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy your sweet baby is here. He's beautiful. I am so happy your labor was quick - so sorry you had to do it natural. You are one tough woman. He's really so cute Suzie.