Saturday, June 23, 2012

Ready... Set... Summer!

School ended and we barely had time to take a breath before the summer activities began. First off was swimming lessons. Sam opted out this year, deciding that he was too old and already knew how to swim. Audrey and Ben were ready and willing. Audrey was glad for the refresher and quickly took off. Ben was awesome. In typical Ben fashion, he showed no fear and was quickly swimming on his own toward the pools edge. I was happy to know that he could at least keep his head above water long enough for me to come to his rescue if he found himself in deeper water than he had planned!



Once we had swimming lessons out of the way, I decided that I felt brave enough to take all 4 kids to the pool by myself. For the most part, we manage just fine. It only gets a little tricky when Ben needs to go potty and I have to leave Sam and Audrey in charge of Andrew in his floatie. They're pretty good babysitters though:)



Sam got to go to Cub Scout day camp again this year and despite the sweltering heat, had a really good time. He was thrilled this year to have his Dad along one day as a chaperone. Swimming, archery and bb guns remained his favorite activities at the camp and he even brought home a few bulls-eyes! 


It is no secret that it is hot here in southern Texas so it is essential that you get creative and find plenty of indoor activities too. One of our "beat the heat" ideas was to put the sprinkler under the trampoline and turn it into a bouncy slip 'n slide. Dangerous? Yes! Fun? You bet! So far the only injury that has resulted is a bruised cheek. Not bad. We also wanted to be ready to make plenty of trips to the library so I made Sam and Audrey some library bags to carry all of their books to and from. We all love the time we spend at the library and Ben has caught on and now wants a library bag of his own. Looks like I'll be back on the sewing machine soon. 


No comments: