Saturday, August 29, 2009

First grade takes it's toll.



We've finished the first week of first grade. Unfortunately, it didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked it too. It started just fine, with smiles and I'm sure a few butterflies. Sam was excited to have a few friends from his kindergarten class in his class again this year as well as a good friend from church. When I woke Sam that first morning he groggily said to me, "Is this what time you're going to wake me up every morning?" Sadly Sam, the answer is yes. He came home from his first day a little disappointed to see that the first grade schedule was not exactly the same as it was in kindergarten.

The second morning Sam told me that he wished he were sick so he didn't have to go to school. Uh Oh! That's not a good sign. He made it through the second day OK but by the third day I think the "pressure" of first grade must have gotten to him because he came home with a note from his teacher. That afternoon, Sam and I had a long talk about being respectful and having a good attitude. I'm hoping that once he is a little more comfortable with his new teacher and new schedule that we won't see any more notes coming our way.

The fourth morning Sam complained of a tummy ache but having wished sickness upon himself just two days earlier, I assumed this was just an attempt at getting out of school that day... I was wrong. I got a call a couple of hours into the school day that Sam had thrown up and needed to come home.

That brings us to this next picture. Sam spent the remainder of that day sleeping and after a bad night, we headed to the doctor's office the next day. Poor Sam has pneumonia. So, for now we're working on getting him well enough to head back to school for what we hope will be a much more successful second week of first grade. Wish us luck!

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Poor Sam. I hope he feels better soon!

Jaimie said...

Wow. That was a really rough start to the school year. I hope that Sam starts feeling better soon and that his second week will be much more fun.

Jen said...

Holy cow, pneumonia! Poor little guy! We send lots of hugs and get well wishes your way. That's one way to get out of school!

Christina said...

Hope he gets well soon and that he has a happier second week.

Misty said...

Poor Sam!!! Pneumonia will knock you down hard!!! Good Luck when he goes back and keep us posted!