Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What a trooper!



Many of you know, and I'm sure I've mentioned plenty of times on this blog, that our "little" Ben has had more than his fair share of ear infections. Today was the day that we've hopefully put an end to that. Ben finally got tubes! I will admit to feeling a little anxiety before the procedure and I'm sure that Keith would too. It is a very minor surgery but being parents I think anytime general anesthesia is involved, it is a little bit unnerving. Ben, however, was cool as a cucumber and charmed the nurses the whole way through.

We had to wake him up at 6am and take him to the hospital with nothing to eat. We then waited about 1 hour and 45 minutes until they took him into surgery. By the end of that time you could tell he was a little tired and he was putting anything he could find into his mouth but really he was still in pretty good spirits. He didn't even shed a tear when they took him from us and off to surgery. It was so quick and before we knew it we were meeting him, already waking up, in recovery. I was able to nurse him right away, which he greatly appreciated, then after a few quick post-op instructions, we were on our way home.

Once home, he had a little more to eat, played for a while and is now taking a wonderfully long nap (so far, 3 hours and counting). So, aside from being a little sleepy, he's doing great and hopefully now his ear problems will be a thing of the past.

5 comments:

Jaimie said...

I'm so glad to hear his surgery went well and that he has tubes now. Both my oldest boys had two sets of tubes each. They were wonderful. I think life will be much better for Ben and you now.

Misty said...

ahhhh....I am so glad it went well. I bet it will be much easier at the Irwin's soon!

Christina said...

Glad it went well for you and him - what a stressful thing to go through.

Lauren said...

Poor Ben...I'm glad it went well for you guys!

Becca Queen of Chaos said...

Oh, good!! I hope this means things will be so much better for him!!