Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Halloween, Step-By-Step

Step One - Halloween Sugar Cookies

Since about October 1st the kids had been asking me daily to make Halloween sugar cookies. I dread the mess but after about 2 weeks of pleading, I gave in. They love it, so it was worth the mess. It doesn't hurt that they were really yummy too!




Step Two - Trunk or Treating

Because one night of candy excess is never enough, we got the costumes out a couple of days early to attend our annual ward trunk-or-treat. For anyone not familiar with the trunk-or-treat concept, here's a quick rundown. We gather in the church parking lot, eat chili and cornbread then the kids make a mad dash around the parking lot, stopping at everyone's trunk to do some speed trick-or-treating. Seriously, for only 15 or 20 minutes of trick-or-treating, they sure got a lot of candy!

This years costumes were, a ninja for Sam, a fairy princess for Audrey and a skeleton pirate for Benny. I decided that the baby shouldn't be left out of the fun so I made her a quick costume too. I think she made an adorable Jack-O-Lantern!








Step Three - It's Pumpkin Time!

It is no secret that it is hot here in south Texas. Even Texas' 'cooler' fall weather isn't quite cool enough to make carved pumpkins last very long. So, once we got close to the 31st, we made our way to the "pumpkin patch" in front of Ben's preschool and found some pumpkins to make our masterpieces out of.

The kids all made their requests, sketched their design ideas and into the pumpkins we went. They helped get some of the guts out then handed the spoons over to me and Keith for the rest. Keith carved Sam's and I took on Audrey's and Ben's. Everyone was happy with the finished product and they loved posing with their pumpkins as their own heads:)







Step Four - The Main Event

Finally, the 31st rolled around and it was time for some serious trick-or-treating. We got the kids back into their costumes, forced them to let us take a few more pictures outside then they were off! I could hardly keep up! Ben was right in there with the big kids and was so funny, carrying his candy bag around with his hook. Our neighborhood is pretty hilly so I am surprised at how long the kids (and my 8 month pregnant self) lasted. Ben started to ask me to carry his candy bag for him because it was getting too heavy and about an hour into it he sat down on the sidewalk and yelled, "Daddy!! Come get me up!!" Keith was at home passing out candy so I gave him a call and he came to Ben's rescue. Sam and Audrey weren't quite finished yet so I chalked it up to some good exercise and continued on with them for about another half our.

In the end we were all exhausted and our house now has several pounds of candy! A successful Halloween in my books.




No comments: