Sunday, April 18, 2010

Springtime in Texas

I complain about the weather here in Texas... a lot. However, the weather this spring has been pretty much perfect. Thank you Texas!

One of the signature springtime activities here in Texas is Bluebonnet pictures. We have had a few dry springs with very few bluebonnets since we moved here so we had yet to give this Texas tradition a try. This season has been beautiful though. Roadsides everywhere were covered in blankets of blue and white and I decided it was time. I knew it would be a challenge to find a safe location (the best spots are along busy Highways) and to get the kids to cooperate. We found some spots but maybe not as much cooperation as I would have liked. It was a very sunny day so we got a lot of squinty pictures. We managed to get a couple of keepers though so I would call the overall experience a success and I can check off the 'bluebonnet picture' box on my list of Texas musts.








For some Easter fun we decided to frost some sugar cookies and dye some eggs. Sam and Audrey had a blast frosting cookies. I showed them how to pipe the frosting with plastic bags. I don't think we've ever had so much fun frosting cookies or ended up with such a beautiful end result. Sam especially loved his Star Wars cookie. What goes together better than Star Wars and Easter?




We don't usually bother with dying eggs for Easter because we have no use for the eggs when we're done. We gave it a go this year anyway and I'm afraid that we'll be wasting eggs every year from now on because the kids had so much fun. Good thing eggs are cheap!



Easter morning was fun too. Sam, Audrey and Ben hunted for eggs and were thrilled to find that the Easter Bunny had left them umbrellas with their Easter baskets. Sam and Audrey have been asking for their own umbrellas for ages and thankfully, this spring (especially the last week) has provided plenty of rain for them to test them out.






2 comments:

Becca Queen of Chaos said...

LOVE the Star Wars Easter cookie!! They really did turn out pretty!

Ben, Amy, Isabelle & Olivia said...

I love the bluebonnet pictures!!! Your kids are so adorable!